At Family Service Center, our experienced professionals help families and individuals address stressful problems such as depression, anxiety, substance abuse, and child behavioral problems.
Serving the communities of Glenview, Kenilworth, Northbrook and
Wilmette, you'll find clinical insight and counseling, educational programs, ongoing support groups, at
affordable fees for children and adults. Our offices are conveniently located in Wilmette and
Northbrook. Please call 847-251-7350 for more information.
We’re here to help.
Talking to Your Child about a Tragedy
When an event like the bombing in Boston occurs, consider the following when talking to your children:
- Don’t avoid talking to your children. This leaves their thoughts and experiences to be shaped by information that is sensationalized and possibly wrong.
- Have yourself under control. If you are calm and matter of fact, it will reassure your children.
- Limit media exposure. Endless viewing of tragic events is not helpful.
- If your children are preschool age, limit details, talk to them calmly at eye level and keep the normal routine.
- If your children are in middle to late childhood, limit details, and help them separate reality from fantasy (stay away from speculation and “what if’s”).
- If your children are adolescents, then they will certainly have more questions. Try not to speculate, stick to the facts, and emphasize recovery efforts.